Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Women Winning Wednesday



As mothers we need to be resilient!  The topic of resiliency had been heave on my friend, Lindsy's heart so I asked her to share her thoughts in hopes to encourage all mothers and women in general to stay resilient!  She's is a wife, mother of 3, full time employee, author and entrepreneur!  Once Lindsy completes her latest book, I'm sure she could write one on this subject!


Lindsy, what is your personal definition of resilience and how do you stay resilient wearing so many hats?

Resiliency is being mindful of the original plan and sticking with it.  Sometimes that may look like a zigzagged line, but stay the course anyway.  I've been guilty of getting distracted and even spreading myself too thin, but somehow come back to my original vision.  I am committed to accomplishing every dream God has given me.  That's being resilient.  I keep trying because I believe with full faith the dreams God gave me will manifest.

I've struggled over the years to balance home life, professional life and ministry.  Finding it was only part of the puzzle, I had to learn how to keep too.  Holding to my vision has helped me persevere.  

Why is it so important for mothers to be resilient?  

Parenting can be tricky at times.  It's the most important job I have.  As a mother I’ve had to be strong even when it seemed overwhelming.  I’m still learning how to be the biggest supporter and source of encouragement when a teacher or administrator would otherwise try to put a negative label on my children.  Being resilient is having faith that my children will fulfill their purpose.  It’s speaking life to them when they’re frustrated academically or socially among their peers.   Being a resilient mom is taking time to encourage my children, reading to them and making the occasional trip to the school is part of it.  Feeding my children balanced meals and keeping house is part of it.  It’s setting the right example in not only word, but deed.  I cannot get so busy that I lose sight of one of my greatest responsibilities: my home life. 

What advice can you offer women who might be at their breaking point or feeling overwhelmed to encourage them to stay resilient?

Stick with it!  Whatever ‘it’ is in your life, it’s worth working at.  We often face our greatest challenges when we’re on the right track. Stay with it.  Finish the course.  Don’t throw in the towel because it feels like your toughest fight; allow the very things that frustrate you to better you.  Be resilient.





Lindsy, you're currently working on a book about sisterhood.  How important it is for women to support one another and to find a support system?

My upcoming inspirational book titled Sister is all about sisterhood.  It has an overall theme of women supporting women.  Support is often overlooked, but has been a crucial part of my success. There are people behind the scenes praying for me and encouraging me to keep going.  We really need that in life.  Sure, there will be times when I have to believe by myself; but thank God for the times I don’t.  I’ve found that having the right people around helps.  I honor those that build me, hold me accountable and are flat out honest with me.  Key ingredients to success.


Lindsy continued with: 

Being resilient is a personal thing.  For me, I’ve been writing for nearly two years.  I’ve had my third baby and faced a few challenges in the middle of it.  I felt very defeated.  I had an on again-off again work ethic which prolonged what could have taken me a few months tops.  Now as I near the end of this project, I realize there were a few speed bumps in my path.  They weren’t meant to deter me; instead they helped to pace my progression.  It seemed to take every ounce of me to finish and now I understand why.  There were several lessons built into the process to get to my finish line.  God was developing resiliency in me.  That is, a spirit to go on anyway.




I'd just like to end by saying today is my fit-anniversary (I'm so excited:)!!  A year ago today I started this healthy lifestyle journey and there is no turning back..  If you all read my story then you know I lost 60lbs in less than a year by changing my eating habits from unhealthy to healthy and working out 5-6 days a week.  All of this took resiliency!!  Whatever goals you have in mind, cultivate resilience and you will see yourself not just meeting but exceeding your goals!




Thank you Lindsy for sharing with us today!!  To find out more about her books, visit her website: www.lindsyb.com.  


Seasoned with Grace,
QueenZadia

No comments:

Post a Comment