Tuesday, October 7, 2014

You Are What You Eat

Put down the cake, pick up the weights!


Food, food, food!!  Most of you probably already know that consistently eating healthy is my struggle!  As you can see from the before picture above I was enjoying sugar filled, processed foods!!  Even since my healthy lifestyle change I have had quite a few secret love affairs with food (remember this one) because I'm a recovering emotional eater.

I've told you before that eating healthy is so important to me because I truly believe what we eat can cause or fight off illnesses.  We had no documented history of breast cancer, yet my mom was diagnosed with it twice.  The one year anniversary of her passing is coming up and I'm so happy that I'm participating in a Whole 30 transformation challenge because that is going to help me to not go on an emotional eating binge.

I asked you all a few weeks ago if you were ready to lose your excuses (here) and I'm hoping you answered with a confident YES!  A huge part of living a healthy lifestyle is your eating habits.  You can change your unhealthy eating habits if you're willing to try!  I'm a living witness to this... I had no intentions of changing my eating habits when I started my healthy lifestyle journey because I thought eating healthy was restrictive, boring, too expensive and I thought I would be hungry all of the time!  I was so wrong and I'm happy that I gave it a try because otherwise I'm sure I would not have had the same weight loss results!

Let's look at a few of the excuses I used before I started eating healthy.



Too Restrictive/Boring/Hungry All of the Time

For some reason people equate eating heathy with only eating salads or hardly eating at all.  There are so many options and an array of food you can eat but you have to make sure you have those options in your refrigerator and pantry!  Of course you're going to feel deprived or restricted if the only options you have are unhealthy options.  I have had people say to me, 'I've tried to eat healthy but I'm hungry all of the time'. To which I ask 'what are you eating?'.  In most cases they are not eating enough.  Just like your car cannot run without fuel, your body cannot run without food.  

When it comes to eating healthy keep it simple.  It's so easy to over think it and make it complicated.  Keep healthy food and snacks around, drink water throughout the day and make sure you drink water before each meal.  A good rule of thumb is to eat every 2-3 hours but you know your body (don't be a robot).  Also, make sure you eat breakfast!!  But what is most important is to do what works for you!

 

What are some foods that you really like to eat?  If they are unhealthy, remix it and make it healthy.  For example, I love shrimp.  You see two pictures above with shrimp.  I probably eat shrimp at least one time a week (yea I've heard they are dirty blah, blah:).  I'm not a fan of chicken breast but I eat it because it's a good lean protein.  I just don't eat it as often because I don't want to have that dreadful feeling when I eat!!  When I do eat it I make sure the flavor is great so that I can enjoy it.  Also, try new foods!  I never ate brussels sprouts before but I tried them and I love them!


Stop eating CRAP (Carbonated drinks, Refined sugar, Artificial food, Processed food)

"Yes, unhealthy foods is often cheaper to buy, but more costly to your health"

Too Expensive

Eating healthy has saved my family a lot of money (which is needed right now lol).  We used to eat out all of the time but now I am all about cooking our meals.  It can be more convenient to pick up something to eat and usually it is cheaper (fast foods) however you can make healthy foods convenient by preparing them ahead of time.   



This example shows how eating healthy can be less expensive than eating unhealthy.


How many times have we heard 'You Are What You Eat'?  I would guess too many times to remember!  But it is true.  What we consume is vital to our health.  There is too much to cover on this topic for just one post  but for now let's lift more weights thank cakes :)!  Food is fuel for our bodies so let's fuel our bodies to be lean, healthy machines!!

Lift more weights than cakes:)


Eat wisely, eat to live!


Do you struggle with eating healthy or are you successful with consistently eating healthy?  Share your thoughts!


Seasoned with Grace,
QueenZadia

No comments:

Post a Comment