Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer - In Loving Memory of Mary Lane







Exactly 52 weeks ago I posted the picture below in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month not knowing or having any thoughts that my mom would pass away that very month.  This disease is the second leading cause of death in women and this was the second time around that my mom was fighting it.



Each October my siblings in I celebrated our mom's life because she was first diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2006.  She won that battle and we wanted her to know how much we loved and appreciated her life.  We want to continue celebrating her life and one of the ways we are going to do that is to join the fight against breast cancer!  You can help us celebrate her life too by donating here, joining our team and/or walking with us in her memory.  Any amount is great for this cause.  Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is all about finishing the fight against breast cancer.  Join us and them to end this fight.


My mom looked forward to the walk each year!

Every year my mom looked forward to the walk and being honored as a survivor.  That top left pic taken in 2010 was the last walk she was physically able to participate.  The top right picture was taken in 2011 and that was the year she was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.  She was weak that day but she insisted on going.  My baby sister, her friend and I walked for her while my older sister sat with her.  The bottom left picture taken in 2012 was the last walk she attended.  She passed away October 20, 2013, just six days before the walk.  My siblings and I all participated in that walk because that is what she would have wanted.  That picture just shows me and my younger brother & sister.

Even though we all know death is certain I expected to have my mom here with me forever!  If not forever, much longer than the time I had with her.  I am extremely grateful for the time but to be honest I'd do anything to have her back with me (just selfish).  What if she never got this disease?  Or, what if there was a cure for all types of breast cancer?  But she did have the disease and there wasn't a cure.  I refuse to be bitter about this (been there, done that and it doesn't work).  I want to help spread awareness and fight this so that others won't have to experience the affects of breast cancer.  I hope you all join me!

This month I want to share stories of women who has fought or is fighting this disease.  Let me know if you want to share your story.




Seasoned with Grace,
QueenZadia

No comments:

Post a Comment