Sunday, August 10, 2014

Unplug to Plug In

Hello and Happy Sunday!!

For the last three and a half long days I've unplugged from social media and for the most part my cell phone in general.  I did this after a few comments from my husband like, 'you have that phone in your hand a whole lot'!  At first I got defensive because in my mind I consciously limit the time I'm on Instagram (my favorite social media outlet) while he is here because he travels for work. So here I am thinking I limit my time for him & he's not appreciative!!  That was this past Wednessday so I decided for the remainder of that day I was not going on Instagram or Facebook. 

Us that afternoon sweating it out. #herzadia

I can't tell you how many times that afternoon I went to pick up my phone or thought about checking my phone!  It was so eye opening for me that I decided to unplug for three days.  Now some of you might be saying three days is not long but it was for me!!  Even though I have a laptop and an iPad I use my phone like a computer because it's so convenient! I use the notes section throughout the day (I have like 15 drafted blogposts in my notes section, paragraphs for my ebook, quotes I've thought of, things I need to do).  All of our appointments are contained there but yes who am I kidding.. I use it mainly for Instagram!!  



This challenge to myself reminded me of one of my goals this year to be present.  How can I be present and enjoy the moment if I'm constantly checking my phone for updates?  Since my husband is not connected and doesn't have this issue, I challenged my sons to join in!  It was so funny because they were like what are we going to do?  My oldest was like what about when I'm on break at work.  I said pray, he laughed!!  I said oh you don't pray?!  He said mom I pray all the time, God please don't let this officer give me a speeding ticket!!  I'm like no pray for others or walk or just spend quiet time! Okay I was being too deep again but we also enjoyed fun things we like to do.. Of course exercise will always be involved and my youngest even got a chance to sit (& I only mean sit) behind the wheel of a car!  My oldest (who is working on building his muscles) didn't think he could do more than one chin up but surprised himself!!





Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray. - Mark 1:35

If Jesus needed to unplug you know all of us need to unplug too!!  So I challenge all of you too!  I challenge everyone: all faiths, believers, unbelievers, young, seasoned, singles, families, and any other category!  Maybe you need to unplug in the morning.  Do you find yourself running late because you're so busy checking for updates?  Maybe you need to unplug in the evening.  Do you spend enough time with your family at night?  Are you staying up too late because you're busy checking status updates or checking emails or surfing the internet?  Maybe you need to unplug for a day or more.  Do you find yourself relying on social media for inspiration?  It's easy to look for inspiration or aim to be an inspiration to others and social media is a perfect outlet but it shouldn't be the only outlet.

I challenge all of you to unplug and get plugged in to what really matters.  Refresh yourself, get peace, be inspired, connect with your family all while being present and unplugged from social media, your cell phone, TV, email, or surfing the internet.



Here's the #unplugtoplugin challenge: 
1. Unplug from social media, watching TV, checking emails, &/or internet surfing
2. Specify an amount of time (you choose, make sure it's challenging.. for some that could be as little as an hour)
3. When you've completed your unplug to plug in challenge use #unplugtoplugin on Instagram &/or Facebook to share your experience then challenge others!
4. Aim to do it at least once a month or as often as needed

Are y'all in? Sunday is a perfect day to unplug... "A Sunday well spent brings a week of content" #letsgetit


Seasoned with Grace,
QueenZadia



2 comments:

  1. Eye opening relvelation ! Loved the reference u used from Mark 1:35

    ReplyDelete